Thursday, December 26, 2013

May 2013: Visiting EDKG e.V. Kendo Club Berlin

It is about 7 months that I do not update my Kendo blog. I was extremely busy with my work and I could not managed to add my new visits in various Kendo Clubs. Now it is Christmas time and I have some spare time to reconstruct the last 6 months Kendo trainings.
In May 2013 a was in berling for the Illumina research meeting and as usual I bring my bogou with me. I was as student in berlin west between 1984 and 1987 working at max Plank Institute fuer Mulekulare Genetik, after that time I did not come back in Berlin. It was very particular for me after such a long time see again a completely different town. Even more strange for me was moving with underground in areas that at the time I was in berlin were in the East site of the town and not normally accessible to us living in West Berlin.
This time I visited the EDKG e.V. Kendo Club, a very big Kendo Club in Berlin.  The have a very nice dojo with a very good floor for fumikomi.

I was there twice and I found very interesting the presence of a specific training only for beginners with a lot of beginners without bogou.
The first day the training was done by Rainer Jättkowski, 7th Dan and on the second day by Ralph Lehmann.
The training in both days was very similat to the one I normally have in our Dojo in Torino and it was very nice to cross the shinai in the jigeiko with many of the kendokas in Berlin.
On the second day Ralph was so kind to bring me out for dinner and we had a nice time talking about kendo and drinking few beers.

I had a great time in berlin and I hope to get back, having more time to visit te town and off course making kendo ^_^.

No comments: