Tuesday, April 16, 2013

October 2012: Singapore Kendo Club

I have been so lucky to be back in Singapore for a reasearch meeting 2nd NGS Asia Congress 2012 and for a seminar at the  SIgN A-STAR Institute. As usual it was a great experience both for the scientific an social view. My stay was brief but characterized by very intense working activity. However, I managed to practice Kendo again at the Singapore Kendo Club. I was at the Sunday training and at the Thursday training. The two training take place in tow different Japanese schools in Singapore, the Changi Japanese School, 11 Upper Changi North Rd and the Japanese Primary school, 95 Clementi Road.
The Sunday training started with about 30  minutes of kendo-no-kata and Yeo sensei offered his advise to me on the kata hihglighting some tips expecially for the kodachi katas. After we make directly men-tsuke and we started with few rounds of kirikaeshi. Suresh, one of the components of the Singapore Kendo National team, run the training. We focus on main basic techniques, and after we had the possibility to practice jigeiko with the various sensei present in the dojo.

Thursday was more hard. I was in dealy because of the working schedule, taxi was not available, I took the underground, but the station were I when out was not exactly very near to the dojo. Finally with a taxi I managed to get to the Clementi Dojo.
The Dojo is little but the participants are alt least shodan. Also here Suresh run the training that was particularly heavy for be because there was no air conditioning and this affected a lot my performances. . After basic kion we had few rounds of Jigeiko that was very challenging for me. I was not very satisfied of me I could not find the right timing and my seme was very poor and it was very very hot!

At the end of the training a asked for some advice and I one of the Japanese sensei told me that I have a kendo base is good but I have to trust more on my kendo. Suresh told me that I have to be more carefull in the attach because men and kote attachs are different and the opponent recognize them.
Although I have not been good as I wanted the training was very useful and I enjoyed very much.
Next year it quite possible that I will be back in Singapore and I will ask Yeo sensey for the possibility to participate to the training also in the University dojos, I not so sure it will be possible but I will ask to have the possiiblity to cross the shinai with other  kendokas.


  

No comments: